Saturday, October 4, 2014

Subscription Addiction: BeautyBox5 should be BeautyBoxZero



First, let me tell you a tale. A tale of a broke graduate student attempting to purchase a gift for a friend. To make a long story short, I ordered some nail polish from the BeautyBox5 shop. Yes, it's cheap. $7 for 4 bottles, one of which they tried to stick in my August box and pass off as fabulous. Immediately after I ordered the set, I emailed customer service, asking if my order could be canceled. My friend already had a set very similar to it. Five days later, I receive a response saying that my order has already been processed, too bad, so sad.

Of course it's already been processed when you respond 5 days later...

With all my disappointment with BeautyBox5, that was the last straw. I emailed them to ask that my subscription be canceled. Another week or so later, I finally received a response. October's BeautyBox5 will be my last. Thank GOD. $12 for this shit? Nopetopus.gif. Allow me to show you what I received in my September BB5.


Product #1: Sally Hansen Toe Spacers
Are you freakin' kidding me? I can get these at CVS as an impulse buy when I'm getting cold medicine. I just think that's kind of a letdown, honestly. Toe. Separators. I sound selfish and whiny when I say that. While I'm not a makeup elitist by any stretch, and I don't mind getting beauty supplies, I'm completely bored by toe separators. They're a stocking stuffer, or something a clueless aunt gets you as part of a "manicure" package with bright green nail polish she thinks you'll like (because of that one manicure she gave you at age ten), even though you're in your mid twenties.

Product #2: Dr. Lin Acne Spot Corrector
I will give this product a thumbs up. One morning recently, I woke up late and didn't have time to do as much makeup as I normally do. I was PMSing pretty bad, and I had a few breakouts on my cheeks and chin area. My students kept asking me if I was sunburned or chemical burned. Ouch. So I used this spot corrector that night and the night after, and it cleared up a pretty big blemish that normally would have been uncomfortable and lingering. So I am pretty thankful for this product. I would say that it is a bit drying, but that's its purpose. Apparently you can use it up to thrice daily (um, what?), but once in the evening works just fine for me.



Product #3: Nicka K Eyelight Crayon
I'm sure as I become more versed in makeup and creative uses for different products, I will appreciate this. But for right now, it's a metallic silver stick that sits in the makeup container on my bathroom counter. I swatched it and it is some METALLIC SILVER stuff as opposed to a subtle sparkle or something like that. Again, it may be something I use in the future, but still. Meh.

Product #4: Natural Style by FUBU Deep Conditioner & Co Wash
So... FUBU? Like the clothing brand, FUBU? Daymond John-Shark Tank-Hip Hop clothing mogul-FUBU? Something is strange here. Who knows, maybe it's an incredible deep conditioner. Maybe it's the greatest conditioner known to man. But, when I think FUBU, I think Daymond John, LL Cool J, etc. I do not think hair care. And hey, maybe Daymond John has assembled a team of experts when it comes to hair care. But, the man is bald. Therefore I don't trust him. Kidding, kidding. I like Daymond John, for the most part. I think he's an innovator and an interesting guy. But with his hands in the hair care industry, I'm not so sure it's a fit. Who knows.

Product #5: My Beauty Spot Nail Polish
Yaaay, it's another nail polish from a set that we're supposed to be in awe of, since the whole set is $24.99! I'll say that the color on this one is pretty (it was a deep purple color), and I love it. I haven't tried it yet, because I have about four similar colors. Yes, it's a pretty color. Yes, purple is my favorite. But I bought a $2 nail polish on clearance at New York and Company the day before in a strikingly similar color, and I'm sure it will serve the same purpose.

Am I being too harsh? Too whiny? BB5 just isn't worth the money for me, especially compared to Ipsy, Birchbox, and Boxycharm. Thoughts?


1 comment:

  1. Hahaha. Who outside of middle school uses METALLIC SILVER anything? That's such a lame thing to get in a box. I'm sorry this one didn't work out but that you were FINALLY able to cancel. This is totally a PSA of what subscription box to never get!

    ReplyDelete