Thursday, October 9, 2014

Kat Von D Studded Lipsticks Holiday Set Swatches!

Even though the Kat Von D lipstick set wasn't what I set out to purchase from Sephora, I was extremely happy with them. Despite the fact that they're small, you get a lot of product for $39, especially considering that one lipstick costs $21.


As I've mentioned, these are small. This is the tube lined up to my finger, which is a little longer than the lipstick.


I don't have a regular KVD studded tube to compare the lipstick to, but you can pretty much tell how little the bullet is just against my hand. It still rolls up with enough product, but it is miniature. 


Agatha, Lovecraft, Sexer, Adora
From bottom: Agatha, Lovecraft, Sexer, Adora

Wonderchilde, Motorhead, Bachelorette, Hexagram, Countess.
From bottom: Wonderchild, Motorhead, Bachelorette, Hexagram, Countess.

Unlike a favorite lipsticks post, I can't comment on these at all. At the time of swatching, this was a first impression. At present posting time, I've worn only Sexer. I can say that these are pretty dry when swatched. Obviously, you can tell which ones drag because it was really difficult to make my swatches look nice and smooth. I also didn't want to make large swatch boxes because of the small amount of product.

These will probably perform like a MAC matte, which are on the drier side. I've read multiple reviews saying that the colors apply patchy, but I haven't been able to try any of these more matte shades on my lips. I will have more to say about these in my monthly lip post because I do plan on wearing some of these shades.

I wanted to buy this set because I liked eight of the nine colors. I'm sure you can tell that Agatha, the lightest nude, is not my cup of tea. It's possible that I'll try it, but I can't say when I would wear it.

I think my favorites are going to be: Sexer, Adora, Bachelorette, Hexagram, and Countess. I'm excluding Motorhead because it looks super patchy and reviews say that it translates like that to the lips. Wonderchilde appears sheer and patchy. Agatha and Lovecraft are not really my style.

All in all, I think I would rate this set about a B+ because most of the colors are nice and there is a variety of finish. I do with there were a couple different color combinations available, but I'm happy with the colors I have. I think the set is a solid value because it is $39 and I would never purchase a $21 lipstick, which is why I typically stick with MAC and lower end brands.

The packaging on the other hand, I would rate as a C- for this reason alone...


The top of the lipstick sticks out of the bullet, which makes putting the cap back on an instant hassle. In one moment, you could decapitate your lipstick.


I also noticed that these actually come out of the bullet quite easily. I don't know if this has anything to do with the fact that they're sample sized, but the lipstick came right out. I didn't even need to put much effort into it. I know for a fact that my MAC lipsticks don't do this unless there's a dramatic change in temperature. I'm obviously not going to be pulling my lipsticks out of the bullets, but I thought this was something that I should shine some light on just in case.

1 comment:

  1. Oh wow, those are some crazy awesome colors! From swatches alone, I would say Lovecraft, Adora, Bachelorette, and Hexagram are my favorites. I can see how you don't like a few of them... I know I will never wear purple lipstick so I can count that one out... but these seem great overall and it's awesome that you like them for the most part!

    ReplyDelete