Monday, October 13, 2014

NYX Matte Lipstick Swatches

I don't feel like I can do a proper review on these lipsticks even after wearing three out of the eight of them. I much prefer to do swatches than reviews anyway. For the most part, these lipsticks are right in my color spectrum so I'm happy with the colors I ordered. 

I'm sure I've also mentioned how much I've been loving matte finishes for quite awhile. For the longest time, MAC was the only brand of lipstick I owned. I think I'm a little biased when I say that they make my favorite lipsticks. I have to say, I really like the formula of these matte lipsticks. That really surprises me only because these NYX lipsticks retail for $5.99 and I've been paying up to $16 for my MAC lipsticks.

Euro Trash, Angel, Street Cred, Indie Flick.
Euro Trash: This is the only color that definitely stands out from my usual color preferences. I did purchase this on purpose though, because I have been branching out to more neutral colors for every day wear. At first, I was really put off by how brown this color was. I did put it on immediately after noticing how brown it was to find that it comes off as a my lips but better shade. I haven't worn this out, but I have worn it around the house. This particular shade is very creamy while staying matte.

Angel: Just like with Euro Trash, I was surprised at how different this color was from the swatches I saw online. I thought this was a little lighter, but this ended up being a slightly brighter pink. I'm definitely not complaining. I really like the way this color swatched, as it was also very creamy. This is a color that I have lined up to wear at some point within the next couple weeks, so I'm sure it will also be in my monthly lip post soon.

Street Cred: This is a brighter pink than Angel, but they do look a lot more similar swatched next to each other then I thought they did in the tube. This is another super creamy color. I'm sure they're all creamy and I'm going to say that for every one of these shades. This is also another color that I have lined up to wear at some point. I've even debated it against other colors and it's gone back for really no reason other than I didn't want to wear bright pink.

Indie Flick: This color is everything I thought it would be when I bought it. Out of the first bunch, this is the only one that I've worn outside the house. I love that this is a bright coral orange, which is one of my favorite shades to wear. I wanted to get this out of the way because I know I'm going to be wearing more red and purple now that it's starting to get a little colder outside. This did have to be reapplied after I wiped a bit of the drier parts of my lips, but it performed a lot better afterwards.

From bottom: Euro Trash, Angel, Street Cred, Indie Flick.

Bloody Mary, Eden, Alabama, Merlot.
Bloody Mary: I hate to admit it, but I did get add this color to my bag before looking at swatches just for the name. If it were any other color than red, that wouldn't have happened. This is more on the pink red end of the spectrum, but that doesn't mean I don't like the color. I love all red lipsticks. I did find that this pulled a bit less pink on my lips when I wore it out, so I don't feel like it's true to the swatch color. If I had to choose, this color would probably be my favorite out of the bunch and it was also the first one I wore.

Eden: Blue based reds are probably my favorite shade of red, so it was no surprise that I had to get this color. There were probably six reds in this collection of matte lipsticks and I had to restrain myself to buy them all. Based on the swatches online, I really needed this color and it will most definitely be worn this month. It swatched super creamy, and based on my experience with Bloody Mary, I have a high expectation that it will wear the same way on my lips.

Alabama: I was really passionate about getting this color. When I ordered on Ulta, this one was sold out so I had to make another order so I could bring this one home. I was really surprised when I saw just how brown this red turned out to be. I'm not sure if I'm disappointed because I haven't seen how it wears on my lips just yet. I'm hoping it turns out to be that amazing dark red that I thought I was buying from the swatches I had seen.

Merlot: I think this might need to be the next color I wear. This ends my hunt for a nice purple based red that isn't so purple that it isn't even red anymore. As long as it wears on my lips as nicely as it swatches, I don't think I'll be let down. I was so happy to see that this didn't lean too purple that I made sure it was in my lipstick lineup for the next couple weeks. I definitely can't wait to wear this one.

From Bottom: Bloody Mary, Eden, Alabama, Merlot.
As you can see, all these lipsticks swatch nicely and are super creamy. I didn't get any of the lighter shades because those aren't really what I wear. I also read in multiple places that the brighter and darker colors apply smoother and wear nicer. Nude colors don't personally wear well on me at all, so I can see where others would have issues with the formula if the color isn't designed with enough pigment.

Overall, I do really like these and can see myself purchasing more of them in the future. I hope NYX releases more colors so I'm not just buying the rest of the reds!

1 comment:

  1. Oh wow, I love a ton of those! Bloody Mary, Street Cred, Indie Flick, Eden, Alabama... those are all really stunning. And uh, for way cheaper than a MAC lipstick, and comparable? Hell yes.

    ReplyDelete