Saturday, September 13, 2014

Subscription Addiction: August Birchbox Excitement!


So my August Birchbox didn't look just like that, but holy crap, was it awesome! It was my first month of Birchbox, and I was so, so pleased! There were some clear hits, and some clear misses, but overall, it's the best value for my needs right now, and seems to be the most consistent. So, without further commentary, here we go!

Subscription Box: Birchbox
Description: Each month, you'll receive a selection of samples that we’ve tried (and retried) ourselves. We source our samples from both well-known brands and emerging gems. The women’s subscription includes everything from skincare to makeup, as well as fun non-beauty extras. The men’s subscription delivers top-tier grooming products in addition to lifestyle accessories ranging from hip socks to tech accessories.  
Pricing: $10/month.
Referral Link: Here

Product #1: Catherine Malandrino Style de Paris Fragrance
I am not a fragrances gal. The most I do is slather on some Bath & Body Works Moonlight Path after a shower or spray the tiniest bit of knockoff Victoria's Secret perfume before I go out. This fragrance was so... flowery. And not in a light way. It was kind of musky and heavy. Not for me. I traded it on eDivv for some eyeshadow. I'm sure it will work great for someone, just not for me.

Product #2: K6 Skincare Clean Antioxidant Facial Cleanser
This product is vegan, which is always interesting. It had a clean smell to it, but a very light one. There wasn't a lot of lather to this product, which is okay for me. It didn't burn or sting my eyes when I used it. It felt nice on my skin. I needed to use a little extra moisturizer when I got out of the shower because this was a bit drying, but once I used the products from my normal moisturizing routine, it was a little better.

Product #3: LAQA & Co. Sheer Lip Lube Pencil | Bees Knees - Coral
I am excited about the color, for sure! It was a beautiful coral color which I was terrified would be too orange. But after consulting with a friend sitting next to me when I opened it, and confirming that it wasn't too orange, I wore it. I love how it applies, and I love that it's not outrageously sticky. However, my lips were dry one day and I looked like I was eating Cheetos. The color stuck to the dry patches on my lips. I'm experimenting a bit with chapstick or lip balm in combination with this, because I like it a lot and would like to use it much more, but my lips happen to be dry on a pretty regular basis.

Product #4: Noir Cosmestics Long-Wear Eyeliner
This stuff is the best. It applies so easily and it doesn't take scraping to get it to glide on to your eyes. It doesn't come off easily, which is the point, but using the right eye makeup remover makes all the difference. It's smooth and it lasts! It's a little darker than I would normally go, but I like the jet black color. It gives me more of a dramatic look when I have my glasses on, which are dark, thick black frames.

Product #5: Whish Shave Crave Shaving Cream - Acai Grapefruit
Between this and a product in my September Birchbox, Grapefruit scents are WHERE IT'S AT. God, I loved this shaving cream. It's already gone. It moisturized my legs well, and it smelled incredible. It didn't lather like a Skintimate type shaving cream, but it was so effective when paired with the right razor (not a disposable one). I wish it stuck to my legs just a touch better, but this is definitely my favorite product so far from a subscription box!

This was absolutely worth my $10. I would never buy the $100+ perfume, but the rest of the products were useful and at the very least tailored to my needs, whether I liked them or not. Birchbox did a fantastic job for August!

No comments:

Post a Comment