Friday, May 22, 2015

Perfectly Posh | Haul & Mini-Review

So I recently ordered some items from Perfectly Posh, a Direct Sales website that sells skin care and body/bath items. I was really excited to try this stuff out, especially because I had heard really good things about them.

First and foremost, I want to disclose that I am a Direct Sales person myself. Perfectly Posh doesn't compete with Jamberry in terms of "We sell the same product, so I'm giving this a bad review for the sake of a bad review", but some of the opinions I have of the company and the products come from my experience with Jamberry. I also want to say that I will be including prices on some of these things, because I think it's relevant to share what I paid for it in relation to the size I received. Anyway. ONWARD.


First, I will talk about the party experience. The party was on Facebook, and it was for a friend of mine (and Reggie's) as a fundraiser. This friend had thrown a party with Jamberry as a fundraiser as well, so I thought it was only appropriate to return the favor, especially for the good cause. I also knew it gave me a chance to review some products and to get some fun stuff for myself. So it was a win-win. The consultant at the party was very fun and lively. I will say that she didn't provide much information about the products at all except for bits and pieces in answered questions, and to inform us about a buy 5 get 1 free deal. But she was definitely enthusiastic and fun.

The day of the party comes, and we played a few games. There was an unscramble word game, a "What's your Posh name?" game, and then a scavenger hunt. The Scavenger Hunt, which I won, earned me a free lip balm. After I placed my order, I will say that the consultant never thanked me for my order. She did pitch throwing a party for all of my friends, but in all sincerity, I want my friends to have a different experience. It's like as soon as I pulled out my credit card, the interaction stopped. I don't mean to be entirely critical, but that's where my bias comes in. I try really hard to make my parties fun and engaging for everyone, and I love making a big deal of when people order. I tag them in a Facebook post and compliment their choices. It makes people feel like their money is well-spent, especially if some of it is commission going to the consultant.

Anyway. Here's what I got:

Product #1: Make-Out Magic Sugar Lip Scrub | $14, 0.5 oz
I tried this on my lips and it felt nice. I will say that some parts of it felt scrubbier than others, if that makes any sense whatsoever. It feels good on my lips and it feels moisturizing. It feels like I won't have to reapply after an hour. But I will also say that for a "Lip Scrub", I expected a little more... scrub. Not really a complaint, but I do wish I got more scrub when I dipped my finger in for the first time. It smells really good, though, The website says it's grapefruit vanilla scented. I can smell tiny hints of both of those, but neither is overpowering by any stretch.

Product #2: Calm Down! Oatmeal & Banana Face Mask | $16, 2 oz
Admittedly, when I opened up the box and saw this, I was disappointed in the size. The Body Shop sells face masks that are about 3.5 oz for this price or a little under, so I was expecting a little bigger. However, it smells incredible. I left it on my face for about 7-8 minutes, since the instructions said between 5-10 minutes. It started tingling a little toward the end, but nothing super intense, and no burning or itching. When it started to tingle, I rinsed. It was tough to rinse off. It reminded me of when I bake and I get frosting all over my hands, and how hard that is to wash off. It took a good minute and a half-two minutes to rinse. And I will say I was a little disappointed that I got out of the shower, sat around for a few minutes, and my face was in desperate need of moisturizer. I probably wouldn't repurchase this, given the size and the price as well as how 'meh' I am about it other than the smell.

Product #3: Wakey! Wakey! Skin Stick | $13, 0.5 oz
This is definitely interesting. It smells like peppermint, which is interestingly nice. I thought the smell of peppermint would turn me off, but I did enjoy it. I tried rubbing it on my forehead, and it didn't seem to do much. Granted, I didn't apply it as liberally as the instructions say, but it didn't get rid of my dull headache. The website claimed this was great for energy, tension, and headaches. So tomorrow morning when I drag my sorry butt out of bed at 6:30 AM, I'll give it another fair shot.

Product #4: Good Morning, Beautiful! Big Bath Chunk Bar | 7 oz, $9
The price on this is really good compared to the price on the other things. The bar is substantial, and it seems like it would last a long time. Apparently you can use this from head to toe, which means you can also use it as a shampoo? I think I read that somewhere. I don't quite think I would go that far with it, but it's nice to have a big hunk of soap that smells pretty good. The scent on this one is supposed to be lemon and green tea. The lemon isn't super strong, which is nice. When I used it, I could only really smell the lemon. It does lather up really well and it seems like it would last a long time.

Product #5: I've Been Set Up Makeup Setting Mist | 4 oz, $13
I will freely admit that I bought this 1) because I didn't have a makeup setting spray, and 2) because the website said it smelled like chocolate. When I open it up and take a whiff, it smells strongly of mint. Which is fine, but where is my chocolate? I can't speak to how well this works in setting makeup, because I just took my makeup off, as you can tell by the fact that I said I tried the oatmeal mask in the shower. But I will try it tomorrow and see.

Product #6: The Healer Shea Butter in a Tin | 0.6 oz, $10
I haven't tried this yet, mainly because it's a remedy butter for burns, bites, dry skin, etc. But knowing me and the amount of random bug bites and sunburns I get, this will be handy to have around. I really do want to give it an honest shot before I review it. We will see.

Product #7: Scrumptious Sunshine Lip Balm | 0.08 oz, $4
I won this in a party game, so I didn't pay $4 for this. I would pay $4, though. It smells like oranges, and it's not an off putting orange. The lip balm itself is hydrating, not too sticky, and easy to apply. The smell is not overpowering and it's about the size of a drugstore lip balm or similar item.

Product #8: Walk on the Beach Pedicure Grade Sand Scrub | Free Sample, 0.15 oz
This was a sample included in my order. It was really nice to open my package up and see this! I love samples and I love trying new things, especially a foot scrub! It says it's a beachy scent, which is white frangipani, jasmine, and plum. I opened it up and I was dying to figure out whether I could smell the plum; I've never owned a beauty product that smelled like plum before! I will say that I was so excited that it was a SCRUB. It had sandy stuff in it and I SCRUBBED my feet. It smelled amazing! I could definitely smell the jasmine. I would probably purchase a full size of this if it were easier to get a hold of.

I will also say that the shipping is pretty hefty. $8 shipping is kind of bonkers, especially if you're just getting a couple of things. Yeah, $8 shipping for all of those items seems legit. But if you're getting one face scrub or one soap, $8 is insane, Granted, if you spend $100, you get free shipping, but I couldn't justify spending $20 more to save $8. I'm sorry. I'm not sure how new Perfectly Posh is as a company, but they may want to look into getting their shipping costs down. Even Amazon ships for less than that, and they're notorious for shipping things in absurdly, comically large packages.

So, overall I was pleased with some aspects of my purchase and not so pleased with others. I may try more items from Perfectly Posh in the future, but I will be sure to maximize my purchases to make it worth the shipping cost. I do want to try some more of the lip balms, and the chunk bars. Maybe even some of the masks. I've heard good and bad things about the Stripper and the Sea Witch, but considering their warnings for sensitive skin possessors, I figured it would be best to pass for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment